I finished my railing project today and will attach it to the wall and floor tomorrow. It was an interesting project and here are the last few photos of the railing in progress and final fit check around the trap door, but first a few process photos.
Let me tell you I struggled with this topper. I would have preferred to do a nice wrap of both the newel joints, but without a torch or a standard coal forge there was no way to make it happen and look right. I tried two different other covers and decided that the joint by the handle looks fine without and after some welding and grinding magic the corner newel was ready for the topper shown here. Wife likes it and told me it is good to go! At 2 feet you can see my magic,but at 5 feet they are invisible, except for me because it’s all I can see. hahaha. You know how that goes.
The railing is just resting against the wall right now and the wall brackets fit nice and flat as do the feet. As you can see in the picture it is nice and straight and the newels are plumb. Overall I am happy with its appearance and since I really didn’t expect to be doing this type of work with what I have in my shop right now I am pleased with the way it came out. I did manage to do some dumb things even though I drew it out, but half the time I didn’t keep the drawing available so naturally it made for minor mistakes.
On the other hand it was a good starter project for the gas forge. It made me make smaller parts and figure out how to put them together. I would have preferred a more traditional process, but with the regulator I have I cannot get to welding temperature, so that means I had to resort to more Arc welding than I ever have done on any project to date.
I do have a power supply problem that is not easily corrected and this causes my welder to operate a little under par. I did figure out the only way to get a good bead run is to preheat the rod on a scrap piece and then move to the good piece. This is even with the better ESAB rod.
As my friends will tell you I like to do projects that challenge me from time to time and this was a fun project that taught me a lot about my new shop’s limitations and processes. My next project a couple of simple Nightstands will go much smoother now.
Hope you enjoyed the project and pictures. I will post some of the new project next week.
Thanks for stopping by and as always
See ya at the Forge!