Anvil Repair II

Posted: May 7, 2015 in Uncategorized
Tags: , , , ,

The long awaited Anvil Repair!!!!! I finally made time to repair the horn side of my anvil. Once again I was unable to find 7018 rod. Soooo…. I used the 6013 that is readily available in all sizes from 2.0mm to 4.0mm, straight from Turkey as there wasn’t any other brand available in recent months. I used about 5- 6kg  on both repairs, so I probably ground off a 1kg (2.2lbs) of that during the welding and finishing stages. So the anvil is about 10 lbs heavier.

Original damage

After cleaning it up for about an hour or so

After cleaning it up for about an hour or so

What she looked like after the 1st round.

What she looked like after the 1st round.

The color in the repair photo is much more intense than what I was looking at, just thought I would mention that.

The 2nd Round of Repair:

A close up of the repair area

Close up of the repair area.  Depth of repair is a little over 1/2 inch and about 6-7 inches long and 3-1/2 inches wide.

2015-05-05 11.13.33

The mighty machine that made it all possible. I didn’t really expect to be doing this kind of repair. Of course now…. like always, wish I had, coulda’ had, why didn’t I, etc.

Not a bad machine, but very limited. works best with 2.5mm.  Has a bit of trouble adjusting the amps for the 1 & 1.5mm. I do miss my Millers and Lincolns.

Anvil still needs a final sanding and polishing. The square in the round hole is to make it useful as a hardy and the standard stock fits into the square so I don’t have to make each hardy tenon by hand. I can always knock that tubing out.

2015-05-05 11.42.49

Side view. I built up this corner more than the rest to add a sharper edge on that side. The other side isn’t as sharp as this edge and the rest of this side serves as a rounded over edge for tighter radii than I can get on the horn.

2015-05-05 11.42.28A top view of the repair

I was able to maintain the original ring to the anvil throughout both repairs. Hardness, hmmm, no idea, not as hard as it should be, even before I repaired it. It seems to me that I retained the extra hardness that I think I acquired after the 1st round of repair to the other end.  Rebound is pretty good the hammer will bounce back a fair ways and if a hard swing I would be wearing a lump on the noggin so, that’s good enough. 🙂 So with a softer face I have to not miss and keep my work hotter.   I happy with the result.

Thanks for stopping by!

I will have another post towards the end of the month. I seem to be having a problem with picture placement in this post for some reason or other. I am sure it is me.

Stay safe!

See ya at the Forge!!!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s